Finally! I’ve been waiting on this Star Trek Bluetooth ComBadge for a while.
Behold the Star Trek Bluetooth ComBadge. It’s styled after a TNG style combadge and actually connects to your phone (or other device) via Bluetooth.
Once connected, you can use it to make calls, play audio, or even access Siri, Google Now, or Cortana. It’s controlled by tapping the badge (just like a “real” one) and it even plays that classic communicator chirp sound effect.
That’s all cool, right? You really want one of these don’t you? Well, before you start ordering one for your whole landing party, there is some bad news.
First, even with the volume turned up, it’s hard to hear because the speakers are so quiet. Let’s face it, at 1.65″ wide x 2.08″ tall x 0.36″ deep, you simply can’t fit a very big speaker into the unit. Some folks seem to think the microphone is too quiet as well, but I haven’t had a problem with it.
Third, since it is made from plastic it’s not as realistic as some replicas. I understand that accommodations had to be made to make it functional but, if you’re expecting a “screen accurate” replica you will be disappointed.
Finally, the magnets that you use to attach it to your clothes are a bit weak. As a result, it might come off if you are bumping it a lot or trying to fend off a Gorn (how many parts sulfur to charcoal is it again?).
Those limitations aside, it’s a pretty cool way to interact with your phone and it’s great fun just tapping it for the chirp.
(via Think Geek)
[wpsm_divider top=”20px” bottom=”20px” style=”solid”]
Star Trek Bluetooth ComBadge: Product Details
[wpsm_list type=”check” hover=”1″]
- Dimensions: 1.65″ wide x 2.08″ tall x 0.36″ deep.
- Connectivity: Connects via Bluetooth® 4.2
- Range: 33 feet (10m).
- Materials: ABS body and Zinc front delta and backplate
- Batteries: Rechargeable Lithium-ion (one charge lasts 2 hours for non-stop audio or 48+ hours on Bluetooth standby or cosplay)
- Built-in microphone for hands-free calling.
- Attaches using magnets so you don’t have to make holes in your clothes.
- Charges via micro-USB cable (included)
- Once connected, one touch answers/ends calls, plays/pauses audio, or accesses Siri, Google Now, or Cortana. Sorry, no Majel Barrett voice-overs included.